Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I have come to a contentment in life because I feel in my being that I am without any doubt or hesitation on the right path that humanity has been encouraging itself to follow through Perennial Philosophy. (i.e. "the universal recurrence of philosophical insight independent of epoch or culture, including universal truths on the nature of reality, humanity or consciousness (anthropological universals)").

I have come to a realization that humanity's purpose is to aspire to new levels of understanding by shedding our irrational fears, which we do when we realize that we are not our bodies, but our minds/consciousness, and that satisfying our physical desires over the higher aspirations we instinctively know and come to learn as good is completely irrational.

I want to explain my vision of ultimate reality, but I cannot because it is incomplete because of the nature that it is beyond human comprehension in totality, but that is where faith comes in. To continue an attempt at understanding something that is missing parts we haven't found yet, faith allows me to assume that I am on the right track by seeing the results of my beliefs working in my life.

3 comments:

becky said...

i don't even know how to respond here. but i just wanted to...because it makes me so happy to read this, to hear how you are discovering truth, learning and growing and finding new light. my heart is glad for you stu. keep on.
xxxx
b

Franklyn Currie said...

this is me clicking the "i like" button.
encore.

418 said...

You've come to some pretty significant realizations it seems. I've had similar experiences.
My only questions, or comments, would have to do with a few elements of your statement that feel perhaps unfair, though I'm sure unintentionally.
For instance you state that you are making up for the unknown elements of reality with faith. This concerns me (perhaps only due to a semantic issue) because to me faith is a way of insisting upon an answer when there honestly isn't one (yet). It seems more truthful to me to embrace the position of "I don't know" which allows for your mind to learn, whereas if you claim to know (through faith) you may miss the opportunity to learn when it arises.
Also, you speak ill of the physical impulses that should be discarded in lieu of the mind's aspirations. I understand where you're coming from, and for myself (as an individual) I feel the same way. However I would be careful about saying "we" when being specific about what is a worthy pursuit and which is not. This goes back to your previous blog about being "good" and "true" to yourself. When taken as values of an individual we can define things like "good" and "true", but when applied to others we lose definite boundaries. What is good or true to me, may not be to you. Someone might say that having their penis stepped on by steel stilettos feels "good", that may not work out so great for everyone. The same can be applied to the statement about "lower-minded, physical impulses" these so-called stagnant activities may in fact be a certain individuals path to enlightenment and realization of their true selves. I've seen a clip of Arnold the Governator, in which he says that pumping iron is like coming, and so he feels like he's coming all the time. There are indian and african tribesmen who deny their body food and stay still for days, weeks, months, in search of some form of enlightenment. These acts are physical punishment that have nothing to do with the acquisition of knowledge or study of philosophy. They are solitary, in themselves, and they're discovering their own truth.
Truth. Also, has reached a point at which it is almost entirely subjective. To find objective truth is nearly impossible in the age of information. So much information exists and is so readily available and alterable, that the only truth we can know is in ourselves. All external truth is a matter of 3rd party proofs that I wouldn't believe as absolute 100% indisputable reality no matter what the case. I'd be a shitty juror.
Anyways, sorry about the meandering dissertation.