Sunday, March 22, 2009

15 albums that changed your life

o ya i wrote this

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life. Dug into your soul. Music that brought you to life when you heard it. Royally affected you, kicked you in the wazoo, literally socked you in the gut, is what I mean. Then when you finish, tag 15 others, including moi. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!


. . . . . . . . . .

like it says, these albums I consider influential, but it is not any sort of "top 15 records of all time" list in no particular order..
. . . . . . . . . .

01 - Frodus - Conglomerate International
This album was the first I heard that got me excited about music, mostly the technical and energetic aspects.

02 - MxPx - Teenage Politics
I just have to include this in the list.. being the first "punk rawk" album I ever listened to. Yeah.

03 - Swans - Soundtrack for the Blind
I don't remember how I got into this album, I was during the time I was always looking for "scary" music. It's the only album I really listen to by Swans, and one time while on mushrooms I synched it to Microcosm.

04 - Damien Jurado - Where Shall You Take Me?
This is the first Damien Jurado album I listened to a lot, and since then he's always been way up on my list of favourites.

05 - Ninety Pound Wuss - Where Meager Die of Self Interest
Their first album wasn't so hot, but this one defined for me a new sound of punk rock that was entirely insane and disturbing.. Shorthand Operation is another of my favourites, but I'm guessing I'll want to save some space on this.

06 - The Durutti Column - Vini Reilly
This album is what I listen to while I read.. It's very relaxing and the guitar work is amazing.

07 - The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud - The Smell of Blood but Victory
Another reading album, I had never heard anything like this band's spooky, ancient and sinister emanations before.

08 - Raft of Dead Monkeys - Thoroughlev
DBM was amazing, and amplified that same dementia and shock of the band members' previous groups, but Thoroughlev was entirely unexpected. The song writing was all over the place, in a good way of course, and the mock-rock attitude was in full swing. My current band is heavily influenced by this album.

09 - Daft Punk - Discovery
I didn't get into Daft Punk when they were more popular on the radio, it was only about two or three years ago I think. It was about when my friend Marek and I got high and he showed me the anime video they made for the album. I got to see them in Toronto, and it was amazingly sweet.

10 - Roadside Monument - Eight Hours Away From Being a Man
Roadside can seem like a hard band to get into, I never enjoyed their first album much at all, but this one stands out as one of my top albums.

11 - Roadside Monument - I Am the Day of Current Taste
Again, this band will always be one of my all-time favourites; I've listened to this album hundreds of times, and I'm still noticing things I don't remember hearing before. I take a lot of my drumming influence from Matt Johnson's style on this record.

12 - Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

13 - Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
I fucking love metal-core with cackling growls and thick breakdowns; and since Tooth & Nail was the only music I knew growing up, this album was the heaviest thing I had ever heard.

13 - Xiu Xiu - Knife Play
This will probably always be my favourite Xiu Xiu album, being their first when they had an entire band playing, and Jamie's vocals where highly distraught. I got to see them play in Seattle with the whole band, at the Vera Project's old theatre location, when the band was still with them and it was probably the best show I had ever seen.

14 - The Jesus Lizard - Goat
I got into these guys only a few years ago as well, and this album had the exact sound I had always been craving. Psychotic vocals; piercing, bloody riffs, and a great rhythm section had me hooked.

15 - The Paper Chase – Young Bodies Heal Quickly, You Know
Another from my 'creepy' yet sensible taste of music, I've always liked the pAper chAse's first few albums, and this one in particular. There's something about the erratic guitar solos and uncomfortably apt sampling that will always melt my heart.

Honourable mentions:
Botch - American Nervoso
Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
OXES - Oxes
Engine Down – To Bury Within the Sound
The Polyphonic Spree – The Beginning Stages Of...
Heavy Vegetable - The Amazing Undersea Adventure of Aqua Kitty and Friends

No comments: